The first step in proper stone care and hardscape maintenance is to understand your stone’s geological classification and composition. Before you start any cleaning project, you should confirm whether it’s been sealed. Certain cleaners can strip sealant so you want to be sure that you’re using the correct cleaners for your hardscape surfaces. Ideally you should start with a spot clean but if it’s been a long time since you’ve had your hardscapes cleaned you may have to do a total surface clean first in order to see the problem spots.
- Clean stone surfaces with neutral cleaner, stone soap, or a mild liquid dishwashing detergent and warm water.
- Like any item cleaned in your home, an excessive concentration of cleaner or soap may leave a film and cause streaks. Follow manufacturer recommendations.
- Use a clean rag mop on floors and a soft cloth for other surfaces for best results.
- Rinse the surface thoroughly after washing with the soap solution and dry with a soft cloth.
- Change the rinse water frequently.
- In the bath or other wet areas, soap scum can be minimized by using a squeegee after each use. To remove soap scum, use a non-acidic soap scum remover or a solution of ammonia and water (about Â½ cup ammonia to a gallon of water). Frequent or over-use of an ammonia solution may eventually dull the surface of some stone types.
- In outdoor pool, patio or hot tub areas flush with clear water and use mild bleach solution to remove algae or moss.
Sealing is a common step taken on some stones as an extra precaution against staining. In fact, the sealing products used in the stone industry are “impregnators” which do not actually seal the stone, but more correctly act as a repellent rather than a sealer. Sealing does not make the stone stain proof, rather it makes the stone more stain resistant. When considering sealing, remember that sealing the stone does not make the stone stain proof, it makes it more resistant to staining.
Reach Out to Testa Paving Inc. Today!
If you are in the need of concrete services, Testa Paving Inc. is here to help! For over 35 years, Testa Paving Inc. has been a driving force within the industry and has been serving the areas of Maryland and northern Virginia. Interested in one of the services offered by Testa Paving Inc.? These Include repairs, hardscaping, paving, and seal coating. Call us today at 301-663-5861 or visit our contact page to get in touch with one of our experts.