If you ask someone what is asphalt you’re likely get a hodgepodge of answers ranging from “that black stuff we drive on” to “I have no idea”. And that’s understandable, asphalt isn’t the hottest topic on everyone’s minds–except of course when you’re walking barefoot over it in 90 degree weather. But if you’d like to know a little more about asphalt, here are just a few underappreciated facts.
- Asphalt pavement is the most recycled product in America. The National Asphalt Pavement Association says that the industry recycles asphalt pavements at a rate over 99%. Recycled asphalt pavement saves American taxpayers over $2.6 billion a year. That’s a lot of recycled pavement!
- 94% of roads in the U.S. are paved with asphalt, and there are 2.27 million miles of paved road in the U.S., 65% of which are interstate highways.
- The name “asphalt” is derived from the black, sticky, viscous liquid that’s used as the mixture’s primary binding agent. Mixed with mineral aggregate, asphalt creates the pavement surfaces we walk and drive on.
- Only about 5% of asphalt pavement material comes from oil. The vast majority of it comes from aggregate.
- During the first ¾ of a pavement’s life the surface will only see about a 40% drop on condition quality. The cost of preservation is particularly low during this time, so practicing preventative maintenance is incredibly cost-effective and will ensure a longer-lasting surface.
- Asphalt has been linked to the mummification processes used by ancient Egyptian dynasties. That’s how you know asphalt preserves really well!
- About 4 ½ pounds of dust is spun into the air each mile when a vehicle travels just 30 mph down the road.
- Some environmentally friend asphalt can be used to aid in mulching and the germination of seeds to prevent soil erosion.
- Asphalt is highly waterproof, which is why Phoenicians caulked the seams of their merchant ships with liquid asphalt.
Asphalt Paving from Testa Paving
If you are in the need of professional asphalt pavement services, Testa Paving Inc. is here to help! For over 35 years, Testa Paving Inc. has been a driving force within the industry and has been serving the areas of Maryland and northern Virginia.
Interested in one of the services offered by Testa Paving Inc.? Call us today at 301-663-5861 or visit our contact page. Be sure to click “Like” or “Follow” on our official Pinterest, Google+, Facebook, and Twitter pages today! 1